Nutritional Therapy is the application of science behind nutrients and wider food components, and their influence on your health and wellbeing. Understanding the impact of food on the function of your body, protection against disease, restoration of health and determining how you are able to respond to environmental changes.
There are 5 key principles which underpin Nutritional Therapy:
- Patient Centred: recognition of evidence that supports a personalised approach to nutrition and wellbeing – not a one-size-fits-all approach!
- Biochemical Individuality: recognising and understanding the variation in metabolic function between individuals. This may be genetic, epigenetic or environmental differences.
- Balance of internal and external factors: understanding that balance is important for physiological harmony.
- Promotion of organ reserve: enhancing health through the maintenance of physiological health.
- Web-like interactions: your physiological health functions as a network of systems rather than individual systems functioning independently.